Most Active Stories
- Pollutants detected in water wells in Sublette County’s gas fields
- New Northern Arapaho Business Council resolves to fix tribe’s poor financial management
- Wyoming may have missed the Uranium boom
- New lead in the disappearance of Amy Wroe Bechtel
- Wyoming Judicial Branch says there’s nothing left to cut.
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Mon September 12, 2011
Rumsfeld Calls Paul Krugman's Sept. 11 Column 'Repugnant'
"After reading Krugman's repugnant piece on 9/11, I cancelled my subscription to the New York Times this AM."
That's the reaction on Twitter today from former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to "The Years of Shame" blog post published Sunday by New York Times columnist and Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman.
In his post, Krugman argues that:
-- After the Sept. 11 attacks, "heroes like Bernie Kerik, Rudy Giuliani, and, yes, George W. Bush raced to cash in on the horror. And then the attack was used to justify an unrelated war."
-- "Professional pundits ... took the easy way out, turning a blind eye to the corruption and lending their support to the hijacking of the atrocity."
-- "The memory of 9/11 has been irrevocably poisoned; it has become an occasion for shame. And in its heart, the nation knows it."
Krugman ended his post by saying "I'm not going to allow comments ... for obvious reasons."