Most Active Stories
- Growing sagebrush and other native seed: Crackpot idea or lucrative business venture?
- Wyoming missed out on last uranium boom, but planning for the future
- South Africans strive to limit damage to landscape as elephant populations grow
- Wolf trapping raises concerns about trapping the wrong animals
- Study finds BLM’s wild horse management practices are flawed
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Tue March 13, 2007
Pipeline Explodes Near Gillette
Gillette, WY – A gas pipeline exploded west of Gillette
last night (Sunday). The explosion rattled windows 12 miles away and created a glowing smoke plume that could be seen in Gillette, 35 miles away. No one was hurt in the blast. But firefighters say that at least 35 people called nine-one-one to report the explosion, which happened around 8-30. About 20 firefighters followed the plume to the blast site. Once there, they found a damaged pumping station and a grass fire that had burned a couple acres. The gas line was shut off and the situation quickly was brought under control. A pipeline belongs to Western Gas resources, which was bought by Anadarko Petroleum last year. An Anadarko spokeswoman would NOT speculate on what caused the blast.